Accreditation the Redcar and Saltburn-by-the-Sea Gazette 26/11/1869.


Tuesday night (22/11), a vessel, the brig “Dawson,” Capt Barker, from Hamburg to Newcastle in ballast, struck on the Salt Scar rocks off Redcar, and two of the crew met with a watery grave.
It seems that the night in question was extremely dark with a heavy sea running, and about seven o’clock, lights were seen from the shore to be in the vicinity of Salt scar, and it was found that they proceeded from a vessel on the rocks. The lifeboat was at once manned and put off to render assistance. On reaching the vessel it was found that she was half full of water, and her pumps were choked. The crew were taken off, and the vessel was taught ashore opposite the battery, where she now lives.
The following account of the disaster was supplied to us by the captain. :-After leaving Hamburg, on her way to Newcastle, the brig encountered some heavy gales, and a leak was sprung. The crew were once set to work at the pumps, which unfortunately were soon choked, and from Saturday morning till Tuesday night, the cruel work constantly occupied in bailing. When off Redcar, the weather was hazy, and the Hartlepool light could not be seen; consequently, the captain could not tell him what direction the land lay, and about seven o’clock the vessel struck on the rocks. One of the crew at once ran after and proceeded to launch the boat, notwithstanding the remonstrance’s of the captain and, was convinced that the board could not live in the heavy sea which was then running. Two men and the cabin boy got into the boat and launched it, when, just as the boat touched the water, the starboard davit gave way, and they were precipitated into the sea. One of the men, named James Rook, belonging to your mouth, was not seen after the accident; but the other man who was saved, states that the cabin boy, Herbert Stubbs, of Yarmouth caught hold of his leg and held it for some time, when the poor were glad relaxed his grip, and sank.
The vessel bumped on the rocks several times after she first struck, and then she floated into deep water, whence she was taught ashore by the lifeboat. We understand that she belongs to Mr Burnfather, of Newcastle.


Accreditation the Redcar and Saltburn-by-the-Sea Gazette 24/12/1869.


            On Friday last (17/12), an inquest was held on the body of the youth who was found on the beach on the preceding day (16/12). The body could not be identified, but the general supposition was that the remains were those of Herbert Stubbs, Employee of the “Dawson,” who it will be remembered, was drowned in the attempt to leave the vessel when on the Salt scar rocks, on the 23rd ult.



Chris Hansom March 13, 2013 Ships