DEATH – EARL Mary Ann deceased inquest

Accreditation the Redcar and Saltburn News 26/11/1874


            An inquest was held at Mr J. Coulson’s, Cleveland Hotel, Coatham, yesterday (25/11), before Mr S Robinson, deputy coroner, on view of the body of Mary Ann Earl, widow, 69 years of age, who expired suddenly on Monday night (23/11),  under the following painful circumstances:- Deceased and her brother, who is of weak mind and older than herself, lived alone together. He left the house at 8 o’clock on Monday morning, and as he did not return, deceased became very anxious about him, and several persons were dispatched to see if any trace could be found as to his whereabouts. He was seen at Marske about noon on Monday, and here trace of him appeared to be lost. As the day wore on, deceased naturally became greatly distressed about her brother, and about 9 o’clock at night, whilst in conversation with some neighbours about his mysterious disappearance, she suddenly fell from the school on which she was sitting, dead. The jewellery having been sworn, the following evidence was given :- Susan Lynas: I am the wife of William Lynas, and live at Coatham. My husband is a milkman. I knew the deceased, Mary Ann Earl, and was well acquainted with her. She was the widow of Charles Earl, sailor, and was 69 years of age. We went into deceased’s house about 8:30 o’clock on Monday night. She seemed to be in great trouble about her brother, Thomas Snowdon, who was missing. We sat talking until ten minutes to nine, when she exclaimed “Oh I” and fell to the floor. She never spoke afterwards, died immediately, before medical assistance could be obtained. I do not know that she was afflicted with any disease. Elizabeth Wilson: I am unmarried, and reside at Coatham. I have heard the evidence of Susan Lynas, and corroborate her in every particular. I knew the deceased well. I was present when she died. She has complained to me on several occasions that she suffered from palpitation at the heart. I am of opinion that she died through trouble, from heart disease. She has not been attended by a medical man for three years to my knowledge. No further evidence being deemed necessary, the jury consulted together, and returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased had “died from natural causes.” It was scarcely expected that deceased’s brother would be found alive, but shortly after the termination of the inquest a telegram was received by Police Sgt Alexander, of Redcar, stating that he had been discovered at Lofthouse on Monday evening, in an apparently dying state from the effects of cold. Medical assistance was procured, and after brandy and other restoratives had been administered, he gradually revived. He had not any breakfast when he started off, nor, as far as can be learned, had he partaken of any food during the day, so that it seems almost incredible that a person of his advanced age could have survived the lengthened exposure to the inclement weather under such circumstances, particularly as he must have walked the whole distance.


Lol Hansom August 19, 2014 Doctors & Health