PEOPLE – GRANCESTRE Ivo De
About 1150 Ivo De Grancestre gave a piece of land to build a church in Redcar. No record was found of it having being built until 1829. A building may have existed as a way side chapel.
The scheme was put in hand to build a church in 1818, but the foundation stone was not laid until 1823. This scheme failed due to shortage of funds, but eventually a church was built for £2,700, consecrated by the Archbishop of York and opened 27th, August, 1829.
The first 40 years it was a chapel of ease to the mother church at Marske, the parish being formed out of Marske and Upleatham. Registers date from 1832. Previous to that kept at Marske. Baptisms, deaths, marriages etc. The church was enlarged in 1848 and 1880.
1928 saw a large extenion of £7,500.
One would think that after the grant of Ivo De Gancestre in 1150 to build a chapel at Redcar that the church must have been erected, because we site in the record the one “John d Reirkar, Presbitre offe Reidker witnessed a will of William Thorpe, Vicar of Marske 4th, May,1400.
February 6, 2010 People & Characters