Accreditation the Stockton Mercury 28/03/1857.


            Between two and 3 o’clock on the afternoon of Sunday (22/03), a vessel apparently in great distress, and which afterwards proved to be the sloop Margaredtha, Mienen, of and from Carolinenaiel for Hull, was observed off here, making for the Tees; and when about a mile and a half from the entrance of the river. She was struck by a heavy sea, which carried away her sails. The sea was exceedingly high, but fell in-sure in more equal swelling undulations than is often the case on this part of the coast. The vessel shortly after the mishap, drifted onshore, near to the Bransands lighthouse; and thither the Redcar lifeboat, always ready, put off to the rescue of her unfortunate crew. At this time, only one man could be deacried on board the sloop, and fears which were but two surely verified by the event arose that she must have lost some hands by the great sea, which had saw shortly before swept her decks and carried away her rigging. The master had also, it now transpired, being washed overboard, and was drowned. The poor were fellow first seen on board had hoisted a handkerchief on a spa to attract attention to his hopeless situation – the only signal of distress exhibited; and on boarding the slope go to sloop, which was laden with beans, con signed for the Humber, two more boys, the sons of the master were discovered to be -the one dead and the other in a dying condition. The dead body of the first, a fine little fellow of about 14 years of age, lay stretched upon the deck, where his fate had overtaken him at the post of duty; and his little brother, aged only 10 years, layer below in the cabin in the last stage of suffering. It is told of this younger boy, that his last voyage was also his first. Landed by the lifeboat, they were all removed to the Lobster Inn, Coatham, but before arrival of the convoy at this place, the second boy had closed his brief and painful earthly experiences. The bodies of the two brothers were left at the Hotel, till Tuesday, when after an inquest had been held upon them, they were interred in Kirkleatham churchyard.

In Coatham churchard a tombstone is erected to the memory of the two boys as follows:-

“Here rests the bodies of Wilhelm August Meean, aged 14 and Staye Meehan aged 11, who
were shipwrecked in the Magarethe of Corolinensigh, Hanover, on Sun. Mar 22nd 1857″

During the night the vessel disappeared, but whether she at drifted out to sea or sunk, is unknown: but, no wreck has been found, and it appears from the statement of the mate – the only survivor – that all the vessel had to hold it was the chain, which had fallen overboard at the time of the captain was washed away, it is supposed she had being carried out to see by the ebb tide.




dean January 9, 2010 Ships