EDUCATION – Zetland Schools Government Inspection
Accreditation The Redcar and Saltburn-by-the-Sea Gazette 04/01/1878.
GOVERNMENT INSPECTION ZETLAND SCHOOLS
We have much pleasure in calling attention to the thoroughly satisfactory state of the Zetland Schools, Redcar, which were examined by the Government Inspector, Mr. Markheim, in November last (1877). We will take the Infants’ School first, because it has been under the same efficient teacher for upwards of 10 years. Those who have known the School during that period are aware that Miss Harwick has uniformly been well reported of, and the following extract from the last report is only one of a series which shows how well the School is conducted: –
“. This School continues to be well and cheerfully taught. One result of its success is a large increase in the numbers, which are likely to be still further augmented by the operation of the Act of 1876 when it comes to be effectually enforced in this place.”
This School has now two pupil teachers and a monitor, and one of the former obtained to prizes at the recent Teesside examination for pupil teachers. We will now turn to the Zetland School, which is a large Mixed School of boys and girls, and to which the infants’ School acts as a feeder, for year by year large numbers are drafted from one School to the other. To the present master, Mr. Thos. Harrison, belongs the credit of having raised the School from the Freddie law condition in which he found it on his appointment to the post in March, 1876, two the high position it now holds, as set forth in the Inspector’ report, which we give verbatim: –
“14th December 1877.- This School is organised and taught in a manner that reflects the greatest credit on its Teacher. The elementary work is thorough, and both class and specific subjects have been prepared with a degree of success which proves that a rare amount of vigour, energy, intelligence, and care has been brought to bear on every point. The School staff is in good order and under careful supervision, and the general tone and standard of attainments are such as to place this School in the foremost rank of the good ones of this district.”
This School held an exceptionally high position for nearly twenty years, during which the children had the advantage of being taught by masters both of whom gained distinction in their profession. There was, however, a short period immediately following Mr. Bland’s resignation when the condition of the School fell below zero. This was owing to the appointment of a master who, though in some respects competent, failed utterly to realise the duties and responsibilities of his position, and the inevitable consequence was that the School lost caste spare, fell off in numbers, and was in a state of general decay. When the attention of the managers was called to this they at once called the master to account, and at his own request. He was allowed to resign, having held the appointment only nineteen months. Mr. Harrison, the president master, was then appointed, and perhaps never in the whole period of its history has the School been in a more flourishing condition, whether as regards numbers, tone, discipline. The fact that a period of two years, the School has been rescued from its fallen condition, and placed “in the foremost rank among the good ones of the district.” redounds to the two the credit of the president master, whom we sincerely congratulate on the distinction he has won. It is now a pleasure to enter the School and see the bright, intelligent faces of the children, who are themselves the best evidence of the work of real education, which is going on. The duty of all parents who have children at these Schools is to support the teachers by enforcing regular attendance on the part of their children, in order that they may reap the full advantages now placed at their disposal. When the School Attendance Committee is appointed, it will have the power of the School Board, and the attendance of children of persons who at present neglect to send them to School will be made compulsory.