REDCAR – St Peters Church, Christmas 1880
Accreditation The Redcar & Saltburn-by-the-Sea Gazette 25/12/1880
ST. PETERS CHURCH, REDCAR – CHRISTMAS 1880
On the eve before the christian festival the church was suitably decorated for the occasion. The gas brackets are covered with holly , etc. The windows on each side contain a portion of appropriate texts, done in beautiful letters of snow white, on a dark ground, the walls are adorned with shields and stars; the reading desk and pulpit are beautifully relieved with holly and evergreens on a white ground, the berries giving a very pleasing effect. In the east window is the symbol of self sacrificing love, the Cross. In the centre of the galley is a shield in bright characters, reminding us that we commemorate the bringing of glad tidings to a sorrowing world. The whole of the decorations are very tasteful and appropriate, and reflect great credit on those who have taken part in them.
August 29, 2011 Redcar