FISHING – Incident Scarborough Coble Ran on Rocks

Accreditation Cleveland Standard 11/07/1936

Redcar Mentioned In “Lifeboat”

When Scarboro’ Coble Ran
On Rocks

   Although it is stated that owing to the very large number of services early in the year, many accounts are left over to a later issue, Redcar receives a brief mention in the June issue of “The Lifeboat,” the organ of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
Under the details of accounts reported to the March meeting of the Institution is the summary:
“Redcar, Yorkshire – 21st February; A fishing-boat had stranded, but did not want the lifeboat’s help. Rewards; £10.14s.6d.”
This, it will be remembered, was the occasion when the Scarborough fishing-coble “Sceptre” ran aground on the dangerous Saltscar Rocks, though fortunately there were no fatalities.
It was thought at the time that the distress was caused by the heavy swell so characteristic of the heavy moon tables which are in evidence in early spring. The first notification came when the “Sceptre” burned an old shirt as a flare, which was seen by Redcar Coastguards.
A Redcar fishing-boat, the “May Queen,” rescued two men then the lifeboat went out and on learning that the two others on board were alright and not in need of assistance, it stood by until the coble floated off the rocks with the tide. The vessel seemed to have suffered little damage and made for Hartlepool.
The “May Queen” was in charge of R. I. Picknett, accompanied by T. B. Whittle, R. Russon, and C. Picknett. In other Redcar boats which went out were Joe Walton, George Walton, Robert Walton, Vincent Mudd, and a man named Wood, Coxswain R. Stonehouse commanded the lifeboat.

Busiest Winter For Twenty Years

   An article in the “Lifeboat” on the winter of 1935-36 describes it as the busiest, for lifeboat service for twenty years.
During the seven months from the beginning of September to the end of March, there were 303 launches and 437 lives were recued – two a day.


dean June 10, 2010 Fishermen