REDCAR – Redcar and its Improvements.
Accreditation Redcar and Saltburn News 27/05/1875.
REDCAR AND ITS IMPROVEMENTS
The ancient fishing village of Redcar is pretty well known in the west and midland districts, and has for generation been the resort of bathers and those who admire the refreshing breeze of the sea air. Its buildings, a few years ago, consisted of low built cottages, which in the summer season received their annual decoration, to give them a neat and respectable appearance.
On the extension of the Stockton and Darlington Railway to Redcar, a dream came o’er the spirit of the inhabitants, and modern taste awakened the idea of improvements in the town, and from that time the village has undergone rapid changes.
Shortly after the discovery of iron stone in the Cleveland Hills, miners from every part of the country flocked into the district, and as there were no houses adjacent the mines, every village in the neighbourhood was inundated with strangers, Redcar receiving its share. Since then rapid progress of improvement has been going on. Large neat, and commodious houses have been erected fronting the sea, a splendid promenade formed of the sea wall, and the streets cleared of the loads of sand which formerly blocked up the thorough fares of the town, workmen’s cottages have sprung up by scores, and new streets laid out in almost every direction, predicting something in the future for the good of the town. A splendid pier was erected a few years ago, at the east end, extending into the sea for some distance.
A Local Board manages the affairs of the town. Public Baths however, are much needed, but as Rome was not built in a day, we cannot expect to have all our wants supplied at once. The new Cemetery, which lies on the west of Redcar road, leading to Marske, is a neatly laid out piece of ground, with Gothic archway at the entrance, the manager’s house standing on the north, and a uniform building on the south, for the use of the Burial Board and other purposes, while in the centre of the ground stands two chapels, built of dressed stone, and fitted up inside with every necessary requisite for the convenience and comfort of the public.
Within the last four years blast furnaces have been erected about two miles west of Redcar, where a new town has grown into existence, and which is daily extending in size. In fact, the improvements have been so rapid, that those who knew the humble village but a few years ago would stand aghast at the wonderful transformation. Its sands are unequalled fro length and beauty, and the surrounding districts of hill and dale lend charm to the scene worthy the pencil of ay artist.
Note: We shall notice the improvements of Coatham in our next number. 03/06/1875.
March 21, 2013 History General