ROCKET APPARATUS – Inspection of crew and equipment.
Accreditation Redcar and Saltburn-by-the-Sea Gazette 02/09/1875
REDCAR AND COATHAM ROCKET APPARATUS
On Saturday last (28/08), the members forming the volunteer corps of the Redcar and Coatham Rocket Apparatus were put through their drill on Redcar Sands, south of the pier. Chief Inspector of the district Captain Prowse was present to witness the operation of the men, so that he might report to head-quarters the present efficiency of the staff…
Chief Office (Mr Bates), of Coatham, as usual took command, and being fully acquainted with the duties required in an emergency, put the volunteers through a close and active exercise. The rocket was thrown across the stranded schooner, the “Express” now lying on the sands, and the rope was quickly attached to the mast by those on board, and two youths having been placed in the cradle, were soon landed in safety on terra firma, while other two were conveyed back to the men on the mast on the same manner. After which the volunteers practised the throwing of the lead, this completing the whole exercise; Captain Prowse expressed himself satisfied with the competency of the corps.
The Captain had under his charge the district to which Redcar and Coatham belongs for the last few years, but this being his last visit in his official capacity (retiring on half-pay), he bid his men adieu, and left for Saltburn.
The men present were Chief Officer Bates and the Coast Guard men, the volunteers were W. Johnson, W. Preston, R. Skinner, John Saxton, John Bradley, J. Earle, C. Whittaker, RE. Fishwick, R. Brigham and Edward Moore.