BUILDING – Church Mission Chapel
Accreditation The Redcar and Saltburn-by-the-Sea Gazette 07/07/1871.
MISSION ROOM – COATHAM.
In consequence of the increase in the population of Coatham, and the all the crowded state of the Parish Church throughout the season, the Archbishop has consented at the request of the Vicar of courtroom, to license for public worship part of the Central Hall, which will (D. V.) be opened on Thursday, the 20th inst., as a temporary Mission Chapel. It is hoped that it will ultimately give place to a permanent church in the most populous part of the parish. In the meantime, the Rev. C. E. Bowden has pledged himself to be responsible of fitting it up with all the necessary requirements, and other expenses. This will require a considerable outlay, and he begs to appeal to his friends kindly to aid him in his work by large or small contributions in money, or by offerings of sacred vessels, furniture for the sanctuary, a harmonium, and cassocks and surpluses for the choir. He also thinks it right to add that he will receive no stipend whatever, except a portion of the offertories at the mission services. The opening services will be as follows. :-Holy Communion at 8 a.m., and evensong at 6:30 p.m.: daily during the octave. The following clergyman have promised to preach :- Rev. W. Heworth, Canon of York; Rev. C. H. Skebbears, the care of Wykeham; Rev. Randall W. Vickers, Rev. L. B. Towne, rector of Middleton; Rev. W. Dunn. incumbent of North Gosforth; Rev. J. Sheepshanks, Vicar of Hilton; Rev. C. Green, Vicar of St Mark’s, Bishop Wearmouth.
March 19, 2013 Churches