REDCAR – Eighteen Ninety (1890) and Before That
Accreditation Standard 03/04/1937
EIGHTEEN NINETY – AND
Some Interesting Facts Recalled
Readers who were interested in the account old Redcar in 1874, given by Mr. W. Walburn, may find further points worth notice below.
The Sacred Heart Catholic Church was built in 1874 at a cost of £1,100 exclusive of the site, which cost £500. I have never read of the West Dyke Methodist Chapel being used as a Catholic church. Prior to 1800 there were five places of worship – the Methodist Chapel, Sacred Heart Church, Congregational Chapel (in Portland Street), and United Presbyterian Church (High Street). The latter was formerly a Wesleyan chapel and was held on lease from the Earl of Zetland. An elementary school belonging to the Wesleyan’s was built in 1876, at a cost of £4,00 including the chapel keeper’s house.
The Zetland Schools, rebuilt in 1850 by the late Earl, were endowed with £60, and were attended by over three hundred people.
In Mr. Walburn’s time Redcar was classed as “a township and consolidated chapelry carved out of the parishes of Marske and Upleatham, and made independently parochial in 1867.” Its area, and the rateable value £12,877. The population was 2,458 and the Earl of Zetland was Lord of the Manor.
An Obscure Hamlet
Formerly it was an obscure hamlet, habited by fishermen whose avocation there was fraught with more than usual danger from the rocky nature of the coast.
The town possesses unequalled advantages for sea-bathing, and the sands some ten miles in length, are “as smooth as velvet, and yet so firm that neither horse nor man leave their imprints on them as they tread the strand.”
I have a note from Bulmer’s North Yorkshire which reads: “Beneath these sands were discovered a few years ago, the remains of an ancient forest, embedded in peat and blue clay. Several large trees were found, and the peat was carted away for use.”
Previous to 1890 an esplanade, over half a mile long and 30 feet wide, was built, at the cost of £2,500; and at that date two piers were in evidence – one Redcar and one at the village of Coatham.
“Bathing machines have been plentifully supplied, and for those who either from nervousness or debility fear to face the waves, there are hot and cold sea-water baths at moderate charges.”
Mr. Walburn says that the Gas Works were “tiny things.” It has been placed on record that “the town is well lighted by the Redcar Gas Company, which was first formed as a limited company in 1857.” Subsequently it was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1876 and 1878.
It was astonishing that Mr. Bulman did not mention the Racecourse. This was made by a company formed in 1875 which had a capital of £8,000. The course covered one hundred acres, giving a straight course of one mile and a “distance” of 250 yards. Stables were provided for 30 horses, and races were held twice a year.
John Farmer, gentleman, of Darlington left the interest of £90 (£5 – 4s – 10.) to be distributed among fishermen’s widows; a lady named Dudley left a sum of money the interest on which went to the poor; and “Atherton’s Dole” of £1 – 6s – 8d., paid by the Earl of Zetland, also went to the poor.
Fishing was not apparently classed as a trade or profession, nor was it classified.
Teachers numbered 4; bakers and confectioners, 4; booksellers, 2; boot and shoemakers, 8; builders, 5; butchers, 5; chemists, 2; refreshment rooms, 5; drapers, 7; dressmakers and milliners, 5; fancy repositories, 4; fishmongers, 2; grocers and provision dealers, 11; hotels, inns and taverns, 11; (the “Globe and Jolly Sailor” mentioned by Mr. Walburn were at 80, High Street, and 108, High Street, respectively), “ironmongers, 2; lodgings, 41; newspapers, 2 – (the Redcar and Saltburn-by-the-Sea Gazette,” 1861, published weekly, by Thomas Brown, at 58, High Street, and the “Redcar and Saltburn News,” 1870, published Saturdays, by George Hood, of 30, High Street), photographers, 2; printers and stationers, 2; tailors, 3; temperance hotels, 3; tobacconists, 4; and spirit merchants, 2.
Postal information is interesting. This following information serves for 1890. This year of Grace is 1937. There hasn’t been much improvement in 36 years. Perhaps Redcar was in 1890 thirty-six years ahead of its time.
The business transacted was – post, money order, telegraph office, and savings bank. The postmaster was Robert William Teggi. Letters and parcels from London and all parts arrived at 7.10 a.m. 1.30 p.m. and 5.20 p.m., and were dispatched to London, York, Scotland, and Ireland, at 10 a.m. to Darlington, Leeds, Middlesbrough, and Stockton, at 11.0 a.m.; to Middlesbrough, York, Lancashire, and Chester, at 2.40 p.m. to Saltburn and Marske-by-Sea, 4.30 p.m. to London and all parts, 6.30 and 10 p.m. On Sundays mail for all parts went out at 5.20 p.m. Parcels are forwarded to London and all parts at 11 a.m. 5.30 p.m. 6.40 p.m. and 9.0 p.m.
Aldermen for Redcar on the North Riding County Council were James Rutherford and Right Hon. J. Lowther J.P. (Wilton Castle), and the Councillor the Hon. J. C. Dundas of Saltburn. The County Council came into being in 1889.
May 8, 2010 History General