Up to 1800
|C100AD||Coins from the early 2nd Century.|
|600||Occupation by Anglo-Saxons.|
|827||St Cuthbert’s Church, Kirkleatham. Viking hog-back graves.|
|840||Possible that a Church was founded around this time on the Coatham Marshes.|
|876||First mention of ‘Cleveland’ (the land of the cliffs) given to area.|
|1065||Encampment on Coatham marshes ‘Freedom Land’.|
|1068||Redcar – called Redcarre.|
At West Coatham there is an earthwork which, it is thought maybe the remains of the camp of refuge made in 1069-1070, by those who held out against William Ref-Atkinson
|1070||JAN,1070. William the Conqueror set out with a strong force of soldiers from York to disband rebels and camp on Coatham Marshes. Rebels fled before their arrival.|
|Pre- Doomsday Book||A man named Copsi gave 50 acres of land REDKER to abbey at Durham. Salt from COTUM (Coatham) was provided to the local abbeys|
|1086||Doomsday – revealed the Redcar not mentioned but records show that permission was given for a church to be built on a portion of land in Redcar.|
|1071||Malcolm, King of Scotland, invaded area of the Tees.|
|1106||Robert de Brus came into possession of Marske & Redcar.|
|1150||Ivo De Grancetre gave a piece of land to build a church in Redcar (St Peters Church)|
|1165||Redcar called Redker.|
|1170||William de Argentein granted land at Redcar to Albert de Craster as the marriage portion of his sister Cristina.|
|1180||Redcar called Redcekerr|
In or around this date, record of a windmill situated Coatham High Street (mentioned in deeds dated 1537). Windmill named Cotum.
|1203||King Edward re-confirmed the charter for the market and fair|
|1206||Coatham Port (at the order of King John) charged 1/15th, tax on all goods anchoring in the bay or going up river.|
|1208||Peter de Brus II granted Langbaurgh Charter. Rights also to freemen of the Wapentake of Langbaurgh.|
|1231||Ivo de Redcar gave 43 acres of land in Redcar to Guisborough Priory. The Abbeys of Rievaulx and Fountains also held land in Redcar.|
|1257||Marmaduke de Thweng obtained a licence to operate a market in Coatham this year.|
|1257||Cotum market and fair imported coal and lime. Small boats brought goods ashore. Hence name port..|
An act of Parliament allowed fishermen to sell their catch from open boats on the beach.
|1271||Redcar called Ridecar and also Reddker.|
|1272||From this time, the lands of Redcar followed the same descent as those of Marske.|
|1280||Lord Walter De Faucenberg was granted a licence to hunt wild board, deer and elk in ye forest of “Reidcarre”.|
|1281||One of the earliest mentions of Redcar when a ship was wrecked off the coast|
|1308||Cotum Church vicar, Master. de Osington had to appear to tell why he had sold the vicarage without authority. The Archbishop replaced him.|
|1322||Robert the Bruce invaded area around the Tees.|
|1348||Lasting only a short time a chantry established at Kirkleatham by a Rector called Thomas de Thweng|
|1360||Redcar market for buying and selling fish, although it is almost sure, that a market was in existence before this date, but no records available. Fishing was Redcar’s main activity until the 19th century.
|1400 -1600||The Redcar fishermen are described as venturing out to sea through the openings in the dangerous reef of rocks in ‘cobles’ and selling a boat load of fish for 4 or 5 shillings.|
|1400||May have been a small chapel in or around 1400 in Redcar as in there was a chaplain recorded for Redcar named John de Redcar|
|1407||Redcar called Ridkere.|
|1407||The first recorded reference to Reddcar as a manor. It is doubtful whether it had a manorial existence separate from that of Marske.|
|1410||Redcar called Rydcar.|
|1470||First written reference to chapel near to Marsh House Farm – Robert Taylor died and left 12 pence to repair of ‘St. Sulpitius’ Chapel.|
|1470||Cotum Mill was mentioned in a deed in this year|
|1545||Sulpitius Chapel – (Location believed near Farm House Todd Point Road, Warrenby).|
Cotum miller William Crawe died and an application for the lease was made by John Glover.
|1615||Redcar, however has the distinction of providing an early specimen of a huge fish on October 28th, 1615, as reported… Arounde the Teese mouthe off Redcare yn ye countie of Yorke says an old Chronicler ” There came upon land a mightie fishe ye lengthe whereupon was above nineteen yardes. Yn colour thys hughe serpante off ye sea was lyke the blewe skye and noe man hadd seen the lyke of before thys daye.|
John Turner appointed Treasurer of Hospitals for Wapepentake of Langbaurgh
The Turner family purchased Kirkleatham estate which included Coatham.
|1629||John Speed said, “Air is subtle and piercing which causeth people to live long and healthily”.|
|1669||Sir William Turner, Lord Mayor of London – before this date he was Sheriff.|
|1676||Sir William Turner built a (hospitality home type hospital) at Kirkleatham.|
|1698||Yeoman’s Cottage, High Street West. Oldest house occupied by John Agar, tally man to the Turner Family on ships using Coatham Port.|
|1703||Stockton Hotel and Wheatlands Farm built.|
|1705||Thomas Brown, hero Battle of Dettingen born at Kirkleatham.|
|1739||Mausoleum built beside St Cuthbert’s Church, Kirkleatham by the well know Turner family.|
|1760||23/02/1760 Act of Parliament passed that common fields, comprising of 400 acres was enclosed by consent of all parties. Land referred to as the Stell near Westdyke Lane. See also Where & When A Redcar Right of Road Case)|
Red Lion Inn. The oldest document relating to this old coaching inn was recorded this year.
|1762||Sir Laurence Dundas purchased Marske Estate which included Redcar.|
|1764||17th Century Kirkleatham Hall renovated.|
|1770||Bathing machines were introduced by Sir Charles Turner on Coatham Beach.|
|1771||James Cook Senior came to live in Redcar.|
Crown and Anchor built as private house, 1967 saw it demolished and built as a pub bearing the same name.
Captain Cooks father (James Snr) died on 1st April, and was buried at St. Germain’s, Marske.
|1786||Friday, 24th November 1786. Records show that the smuggling trade upon our coastline greatly increased around this date. Many thousands of gallons of spirits were landed between Redcar and Robin Hood’s Bay.|
|1788||Sir William Turner – bored for coal, not a success.|
|1790||After Riedcarre, Ridekarre, Reddkerr, Redcarre, the village was called Redcar. (Saxon for marsh is ‘carr’)|
|1794||Lord Dundas – bored for coal, not a success.|
|1796||Sir Charles Turner married Teresa Newcomen in 1796.|
Margaret (sister of James Cook) and married to James Fleck (Master Mariner) died August 9th. Aged 26, buried at St .Germain’s, Marske.
|1800||Approximate date when present wide High Street came into being, and when town became a fashionable bathing resort.|
dean September 12, 2009 Uncategorized